How to Update or Cancel Your Change of Address

You were proactive in submitting your change of address information two months before your move. Using the USPS’s (United State Postal Service) online Change of Address feature made it simple. But now you have a problem. The sale of your house fell through and you aren’t able to buy your new one. In the midst of a crisis like this, probably the last thing on your mind is to change addresses.

Or let’s say you made an error on your original Change of Address request, you can also go to the USPS site and update or change the address information you submitted.

Cancel or Update Your Change of Address

Even if the date has arrived that you requested your mail to be forwarded, you can go online and cancel your change of address. Simply go to the Change of Address link first.

  1. On the Change of Address page, just below the “Click here to begin” button is an option to click on the link, “Need to view, update or cancel a Change of Address order you already submitted?”
  2. On this page, there are blanks to fill in you new ZIP Code and your confirmation number. The confirmation number is the 16-digit code printed on the confirmation letter sent to your new address. If you submitted your Change of Address order online, the confirmation code is in the confirmation email that you received.
  3. You can make the following changes/updates:
    • Change your mail forwarding start date
    • Change your mail forwarding end date
    • Change your email address or phone number
    • Switch from a temporary move to a permanent one
    • Switch from a family move to and individual one (though not from individual to family)
    • Cancel your Change of Address order altogether

By Phone or In Person

If you have questions, you can call the postal service at 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777). You can also go to your local post office and fill out the requisite forms.